What causes foot odor and how do I prevent it?
When sweat gets trapped inside your shoe, it combines with bacteria, which can cause a bad smell. (17) To help prevent it:
- Wash and dry your feet every day.
- Change your shoes at least once a day and let them air out. Wear shoes made of leather, mesh or canvas that allow your feet to breathe. Avoid plastic or other synthetic shoes.
- Change your socks daily or throughout the day, if needed.
- Wear socks made of cotton, wool or other natural fibers to help absorb moisture. Avoid nylon socks.
- Use foot powders and antiperspirants.
- Soak your feet in vinegar and water. (18,19)
Related Guide(s) – Foot Care
- Complete Foot Care. How To Take Care Of Your Feet.
- Foot Care Inserts & Insoles. How To Avoid Foot Pain.
- How To Stop Foot Sweat And Odor. How To Prevent Stinky Feet.
- How To Avoid & Treat Athlete’s Foot.
- How Do You Treat Corns & Calluses On Your Feet.
- How To Treat Warts On Your Feet And Between Toes.
- How to Get Rid of Smelly Feet (Bromodosis)
- How to stop smelly feet
- Ten ways to get rid of smelly feet
- 4 Ways You Can Avoid Stinky Feet – Top tips to keep your feet fresh
- iStock Photo