Be the boss everyone want to work for or be the leader everyone wants to follow. Here are 6 communication skills ALL NEW leaders MUST develop.
- “Rhythm and use of time” – The rhythm of your speech helps you sync with others. Don’t let it lead to confusion or discomfort.
- “Interpersonal distance (space) and touch” – Pay attention to cultural norms, the preferences of the people you’re talking to in any given situation. Don’t move into someone’s personal space. People perceive touch as intimate; use it cautiously at work.
- “Objectics” – “Without saying a word,” you still communicate. Consider the messages that you convey with your clothing, hairstyle, jewelry and perfume. Do these elements communicate that you are organized, prepared for your duties and efficient? Or do they show you’re a little frenzied or not paying close attention?
- “Gestures and postures” – Waving or lifting your hand to stop a conversation can send strong signals. So does your posture. If you’re slouching, you may look uninterested. Stand up and lean toward someone to demonstrate your level of interest and attention.
- “Facial expressions” – People learn a lot from your expressions. Think about the effect of a raised eyebrow, a frown or a smile. Be aware of conveying the right message at the right time.
- “Paralanguage” – Pay attention to “all the things that make up the sound that accompanies the words.” Using interjections such as “you know,” “like,” “um” and other interrupters can give people a reason to question your credibility. These little breaks send strong signals. Also watch how loudly you talk, the speed of your words and how intensely you project your point of view.
- Personal Development In Business. The Complete Guide To A Successful Career.
- Leadership For Business. Complete Guide To Being A Great Leader.
- Effective Leadership For Business. Complete Guide How To Be An Effective Leader.
- Transformational Leadership For Business. Complete Guide To Coaching For High Performance.
- Servant Leadership For Business. Complete Guide To Leading With A Purpose To Serve Others.
- Complete Guide On How To Become A Better Manager For Business.
- Leadership Secrets Of Santa To Deliver Christmas Every Year.
- Authentic Leadership For Business In The Modern World. How To Build A Loyal Following.
- Adaptive Leadership For Business. 10 Lessons For Shaping An Adaptive Organization.
- 3 AMAZING Results From Good Leadership.
- 10 Advice From “The Naked CEO.” How To Become A Great Leader.
- The Introvert’s Guide to Leadership. Why We Need Introverted Leaders.
- Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work For. A Guide for New Leaders. William Gentry PhD. Berrett-Koehler, 2016. Pages: 216.
- Images by iStock